Wednesday, 4 January 2017

Winter Preparations


As I write this winter is now in full swing, the weather unable to make up its mind and days switching between cold crisp air filled days and a much milder but rainy alternative.  Christmas has now passed and January has begun.  Thoughts have started to move from the trials and tribulations of the previous year and attention now progresses onto the coming months ahead.

Generally speaking anglers tend to chose one of a few different paths at this time of year. The first path being travelled by the hardcore individuals who regardless of weather conditions continue to chase carp  the venue may change to a bigger stocked pond with more of a runs water feel to it, but they are still out there spending countless hours in a dark chasing their prize.

The second path leads the carp angler away from carp as a species for a brief period and introduces the other fish to their targets.  These fish may include pike, grayling & perch plus other species. 

The second path leads the carp angler away from carp as a species for a brief period and introduces the other fish to their targets.  These fish may include pike, grayling & perch plus other species. 
The final path I plan to cover with this article is the path I have chosen this year, planning the campaign for the coming year. 

As I mentioned above I have decided to focus my energy on preparation for the coming year ahead. 
Now many anglers treat the research and preparation in a different way, however the method I have
elected to deploy is the organised route.  The plan was simple-ish I would choose a venue then map and research the venue, covering every inch of the lake.

The chosen venue for the upcoming campaign I selected is my syndicate water, so I will keep the details very vague, in fact all I will say is this: “it is a small 2 to 3 acre lake with some really nice fish in it topping at around 25lb mark” the fish are not easy to catch and to be honest at point of writing I have put in far too little effort to expect any real reward in the way of a capture from this venue.
So with venue sorted, I can now move onto the research part which will cover finding spots, routes the fish take around the lake and any holding areas.  I have mapped parts of the venue before and so not completely starting from scratch.  What enters my mind as I write this though is how many people these days actually spend time watching water, with many day tickets available and social media giving advice at every turn.  Now I am not knocking any lakes or venues as I enjoy all types of water and challenges but for this particular year I have set myself a challenge of catching some carp from a particular place.


As the next few articles are written I will cover the methods I use to find spots and areas, none of which are new as why try to re-invent the wheel, but what this article may do is inspire the reader to spend some time thinking about how they may or may not head into 2017 with their targets they have set.

No comments:

Post a Comment